Sunday, May 23, 2010

My barefoot journey *Bound* part 2

Allihies from our front door ^^^^^
This is turning out to be quite a task really.


5-25-09

I have all the time in the world to sleep yet here it is 6:54 am Ireland time and I have been awake for the past hour. I am probably awake because I think I got 8 hours last night and I believe the jet-lag has worn off. So here I lay in my bed. I am tempted to get my mandolin out and play it but I worry it will wake Ania.

*hours later*

So the plans for today are undecided. Ania just wants to chill around the house today because she is feeling better but doesn’t want to relapse. I am getting anxious to go do and see, but this is best just letting Ania totally recover. Ania and I are thinking that we will walk to the store and buy some apples to eat for breakfast. We figure that we can dip the apples in Ginger Ale. We could at least try it.

Ania is listening to “Lord of the Danse” on my IPOD insanely loud! I can hear it perfectly and the earbuds are in her ears! HA!

It’s incredibly foggy outside this morning.

*Night*

It is sometime after 8pm. It is still light out and all. Earlier today we went to Castletown and got groceries. That wasn’t too exciting.









Today Ania and I walked down to the coast, it was lovely. We took a bunch of pics there. We walked barefoot in the sand and on the rocks then walked up on some grassy ledges and lay in the tall grass to rest. The grass was so cozy.

















After going to the beach we went to the Pub. Ania and I got out Guinesses. They weren’t too spectacular. I drank the whole and felt nothing more than a slight amount of drowsiness, which is normal for me most of the time. Near the bottom of the pint my cheeks got a bit rosy I am told. Poor Ania (who is feeling better) didn’t quite finish hers, but that is probably due to fact that she has been sick and hasn’t had much to eat.



We had spaghetti for dinner again tonight. (it is a cheap and easy dinner, so we prepared it in the house.) I’ve had a lot of pasta since I have been here.

5/26/2009

I was jolted awake by a knock on my bedroom door at about 10 this morning. I jumped in the shower and then got ready to leave. I didn’t really know where we were going but I heard something about the Ring of Kerry so I figured we were going there. We loaded into the car and headed around the peninsula going the opposite way then we usually do. It was a cool enough drive only the roads were more narrow than before and there were hedges on the side of a lot of the roads which made it even narrower. We went through Eyrie or Eyeries maybe? ( something like that) The houses there were even more colorful. We then kept going and wound up making a wrong turn which took us along the Ring of Beara. We were lost but it wasn’t in vain, for we found some caves that opened into the ocean.





Ania and I walked down among all the rocks that lead into the caves. Leading up to caves and in the caves was so loud. It reminded us of the scene in the LOTR movies when Saruman was talking to his huge army and they would all let out a sort of battle cry and pound their weapons and shields onto the ground. It sounded like that. It was awesome! The rocks were covered in snails. The 7 year old in me came out and began to freak out with excitement about all the snails. I then went looking for empty snail shells, I found some (like 3) and treasured them.

We then got back on track and made it as far as Kenmare. There we stopped and walked around town. We went into some shops and then got lunch. When we went back to our car we realized that we had accidentally left the lights on so the car wouldn’t start. My grandpa went in search of someone to jump the car for us. While he was looking the car battery had enough time to rest and recharged itself. We didn’t need a jump in the end. It was a close call. HA!

After that it was time to head home. We stopped in the Caha Pass which was a beautiful and vast valley. It was so unreal I could not believe my eyes as I stood looking down over the valley. We took a bunch of photos but it could not even do it justice.










We stopped again in Castletown to see what sort of shops we could find. We didn’t find and good shops. Castletown is not as big of a tourist place. There was no shortage of Pubs though.

We then finished the drive home. When we were right down the road from our house a whole bunch of sheepies crossed the road in front of us.









Once back Ania and I went to the Post office and got stamps and envelopes then went for a walk. Then we all headed to the Pub for some desserts and drinks. My TREAT!!!

We all shared and Apple crumble which is like an apple cobbler served atop an English custard. It was divine. My grandpa got a beer that ended up to be just want he was craving and I got a good ole Baileys. Then Ania and I walked about some more. (this story involves a lot of walking. We walked so much over the course of the Holiday.) She and I encountered some local guys whom Ania had already had a few exchanges with.


No comments: