Saturday, May 22, 2010

My Barefoot journey *Bound*


5-23-09

The exchange rate is a killer. Around $500 dollars exchanged to 331.65 Euro. BLAST!

It’s extremely overcast and quite cool. The accents are quite amazing. I love listening to the guys talk.

Outside of Bantry is one of the most breathtaking places I’ve seen yet. Luckily the sun has come out so we are able to see it from our car windows in all its beauty. :D

…………………………………………………………………………….. ^^^^outside of Bantry ^^^

Outside of Bantry is just the start of the beauty. As you continue to drive along the coast you curve along the wining roads and you can see the body of water on your left side. It’s a good thing that people drive on the left side because otherwise a lane of traffic and many passing cars would hinder your view. Just about everything great was on that side. The road also goes through mountains and valleys. I love the way that the clouds cast shadows on the mountains.



5-24-09

Even though we went to bed at around 9 and slept till 11 the next day it didn’t stop up from going right back to bed not an hour later. Ania is sick today. It is probably from flying and the jet-lag and all that stuff, it takes getting used to. We were so tired last night though. And our beds are so comfortable.

Our first obstacles were figuring out the toilets temperament, like sometimes it just wouldn’t fully flush or something. The shower was also an issue for me because I didn’t realize I would have to pull a random cord across the room from the shower in order to get the shower to turn on.

*early afternoon* Ania and I are sitting in the “leather lounge” because it is alittle too chilly outside with wind blowing. We can’t wait till Ania is fully recovered so that we can climb some of the rocky hills and mountains that are calling for us!

*Hours later*

There is something so magical about this little piece of Ireland. There is nothing like it. From where I sit in my bed playing mandolin is a perfect view from my window. The view over looks down over some of Allihies and a good part of the cove and where it opens into the ocean, There are houses and fields that spread all the way out to the coast. The sight of running horses is one of the most beautiful sights ever to me. I honestly don’t think I have ever seen horses running around a pasture as much anywhere as I do here. Every time I look out my window I see a horse running. The cove is so beautiful. The waves constantly crash into the rocks in a breathtaking manner. Now a misty fog has settled over the hills and mountains on the other side of the cove from me. The little houses down the hill from here remind me of the houses in Van Gogh’s “Starry Night” painting. I wish I could stay here forever. I would like to have my parents and sister here with me though.

*night*

Poor Ania is still sick. I feel so bad for her. It’s no fun to be sick esp. on vacation. I’m queen of being sick on important days like Christmas and Thanksgiving so I can sympathize. I hope she feels better tomorrow. If not I am not going to let her out of bed. :P

Tonight Grandpa and I went to the pub for dinner. The food was great and incredibly filling. I had pasta, big shocker there. I have not had a beer yet. I am going to wait to share that experience with Ania. I heard a woman say “Feck” today. HA! It was classic.

I’m so glad I brought my mandolin here. I have had so much time to practice. I played while Ania napped today. I am getting pretty good at playing “Prettiest Girl in the Country” which I learned in Ania’s honor. It’s a great song. I love this house, everything about it. I love the views out of the windows, all of them. Except the bathroom window which has a weird fogging glass that makes everything look blurry. I love the quirkiness of Europe. I also love the familiar lived –in and full-of history and memories feeling. Have you ever walked into a house and thought “WOW, not only is it cozy here, but I bet soo much great stuff has happened here.”? Well that feeling is everywhere. The Pub feels like a bar in Wabeno,WI. No wonder people stay in Wabeno forever even though it gets unbelievably cold.

Today I explained to Ania my philosophy on something. I told her that when in doubt I go with what will be the best memory or story in the end.

Sometimes its better to not have anything to vedge out on so that you are forces to think of something better to do.

Oh My GOSH! My grandpa listens to the T.V. so loud!





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh I want to be in Ireland so bad now. If I ever have the money, that will be where my vacation house is. And maybe I'll retire there. I know what you mean about that feeling of history in a place. I love that feeling. America feels so new and lame. That's one of the things I loved most about visiting one of the castles. Just thinking about someone was standing where I was centuries ago living the ups and downs of life... I don't even know how to describe it. But I don't need to because you know what I'm talking about!

beka said...

Lovely post, dear.
Gosh it sounds amazing there.
I heart that first song with the lady singing...
I love houses like that!! :)