Tuesday, February 8, 2011

I LOVE TOLKIEN!

Last night I stopped by work to rent some movies and pick up my work schedule and I asked one of the book department ladies to look up a book for me. Naturally It was a Tolkien book. As we looked through the listings on the screen a Lord of The Rings devtional came up on the list.

   My co-worker was shocked by it. I wasn't because I had seen it before but always thought the idea was a bit far fetched. Am I the only Christian in the world who is sick of hearing people try and find something in nothing, and making nothing out of something.
    I don't know if I am making much sense but I am just wondering.

I have heard the arguments behind this devo; about how Tolkien was a christian and thus wrote Lord of the Rings all while trying to subtly trying to make it an allegory.
 I just stumbled upon this quote and think that  it may change a persons thinking on that.

"I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence." -   --  J. R. R. Tolkien



 

No comments: