Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Dubai- Al Karama

I was going to try and pace myself as far as blogging is concerned. It feels strange to blog while I am here. I blog more regularly to keep up with my family and now that I am with them it feels strange.  I have realized though, that if I don't just hurry up and do things already then I will never do them, instead I will lounge around drinking water and eating chocolate while I read. SO here I am blogging. 
I am soooo excited about this. 

Yesterday my mom, sister in law, and I all took the train into Al Karama.


Al Karama is one of those areas where real people live, and all the splendour and grandour has not yet over taken the area.

There are street after street of shops, there are little cracker box apartments with clothes hanging out the windows to dry. 

We went to so some shopping. 
To do my favorite kind of shopping, the kind where you barter for your purchase, and leave spending a third of the price you would have at a mall.
  I wanted to buy color. The more vibrant the better.
As we walked down the streets and through the walkways between shops the shop owners and those working in them would come right up to you and try to entice you into their stores. 
You would hear 5 or 6 of them at a time, all of them offering you hand bags, watches, polos, shoes, sunglasses; and "designer" ones at that. 
I would try to list all the ones but I know I would mispell the labels an have the fashion police knocking down my door.

When you finally did decide on the store you would go into, the people working within are so attentive.  They see you looking at something and immediately pull it off the shelf and start showing it to you, then they ask you if you want other colors, sizes, brands, and maybe some for your friends.
The shops are so colorful and full of sooooo much treasure.
  You ask them the price and they give you some really high price. "380 durham but I can make a bargain for you".
 If you tell them that you aren't looking to pay that much then they slowly start bringing down the price. They will say "we usually charge this much, but I will give you the Arab price."
It is my favorite thing ever!!!!!!!!!


I bought some bed spreads.
(I know it sounds granny like, but I already know that I have alot of granny like tendencies)
 The original price for them is about 360 durham. 
I paid 200 for one, and the second about 250.
I know it sounds like alot, but really it was about 60-70 US dollars.

I also bought some harem pants and have officially fallen in love. I thought they were the dumbest things before, but now that I am here, and I have some, I LOVE THEM!
They are so comfy and pretty, and perfect for this climate.
I think I would like to go back one last time before returning home.
 I just got distracted by a stringed Egyptian instrument. I will post more later!

1 comment:

beka said...

ohmaGOSH i love the harem pants!
i have a pair of shorter-style punjammies in a dark red print.... http://www.punjammies.com/collections/PUNJAMMIES
i got 'em on sale two yrs ago.
they're perfect for lounging around in the summery season! i would so get some more, sometime... :)

i love the style of those you're wearing. oh my. gorgeous!