Saturday, July 23, 2011

Ecuador- Good-byes, familiarity , and salsa dancing with Icecream.

6-17


Sheri and Manaal left at a very early hour. I woke up at 3am to bid them goodbye. It was very sad to see them go. I wish I had been able to spend more time with them as they waited for their ride to the airport but I was much to tired. I slept until 10am and then proceeded to take hours to fully wake up to my usual cheery self.  Jen and I spent the rest of our morning and early afternoon taking care of some clinic things then went out. First stop was the Lavanderia to drop off our dirty clothes.  After all the hard work of dropping off our laundry, we got some frozen yogurt and pan de yuka.  Can I just say that I love pan de yuka. SOOOO good! We then visited two pharmacies; the first pharmacy stop was just to buy smell good lotion, and the second was to purchase bajalinguas (tongue depressors.). I love being here. We know our way around now and feel ok to walk around without a male bodyguard. Of course, now that we know our way around, it is time to leave our church home. 
After our early afternoon stroll, we made plans to visit the Malecon.
We had some friends that didn't get to go with us before and wanted to go with us and I was anxious to go back just in hopes of finding colorful beaded earrings. So we met up with Victor, Checho, Andres and another friend (I feel terrible that I cannot remember his name) and headed out for the Malecon. I walked the whole way there with Checho. We had a really good talk, and he also taught me some more Spanish and I helped him with his English. I love learning Spanish with him, he is such a patient teacher. Checho could not stay long because he had to do some sort of work. We said good-bye to him and then started walking up the steps toward the light-house. It was about 400 steps up.

The last 40 steps were closed, which kept us from the light house, but it brought us up high enough to see a beautiful view of Guayaquil.

It was dark by this point so we looked out and saw all the lights of the city. It was amazing. As we started walking down, we kept our eyes open for any places to eat. We found a really small place that was advertizing sandwiches and pizza. Once we sat down we were told that pizza really was our only option, so pizza it was.

We sat around the table eating pizza and talking about great things. YOu know the usual, "what are your dreams?", "what do you do now?" and things like that. I don't feel like I need to really type out all of that but know that those are the conversations that friendships are built on. AS we are sitting there eating our icecream, Salsa music can be heard outside coming from a nearby restaurant. Andres tells me that he will salsa with me even though we could only use one hand because of the coconut Popsicles in our other hand. OF COURSE I CAN SALSA WITH ONLY ONE HAND, SILLY BOY!
So he and I went outside and salsa danced while we ate ice-cream.
It was a pretty romantic (and lets face it, sappy) moment. I wouldn't trade it for anything though, and the fact that I had coconut icecream while it was happening makes it an even fonder moment. 
 We finished walking down the stairs and at the bottom found a bunch of tents full of pretty things being sold. I bought some bracelets. One has an "H" on it, thus I bought it, and I bought one like it (but not with an "H" on it ) also for Julia. HOORAY!
We all crowded onto a metro car to get back. It was so packed. Imagine the most crowded bus or train you have been on in the States, and then add another 50 people or so. It makes things exciting though.

No comments: