Sunday, December 4, 2011

What a good day.

Today was a long but great day.








I was up bright and early for church.
Up at 7:30 and out the door at 7:55.
Church was good.
I was a bit distracted through a lot of the service which is bad because then I do not understand any of the message,  not to mention the person preaching talking really fast and yelled a lot.
After church Andres's Dad grabbed my arm excitedly and pulled me out the door really fast saying something about pastelles (sp?).
[Side note; You all really need to know this man.He is just one of the best people. I love him so much. He is a big guy with just the sweetest heart and temperament.]
We went to a lady standing on the corner calling out "PASTELLES".
 They are a sort f flakey passtrie that is filled with some sort of meat, like a beef or sausage. You then peel the pastry open and stuff it with a sort of salsa (not like Salsa in the States but more of a coleslaw) and a mayo or limes.
Luckily Andres had taught me how to eat these in the past. The trick is to fill it with the salsa and then tip it and let the extra  juices drip out onto the ground before you try to eat it.
SO DELICIOUS!
Muy sabroso!

After church I went back to bed at the order of Andres's Mom. She saw me laying on the couch and told me to go to my bed.
She told me like 4 times in fast Spanish.
I woke up at exactly noon.
I went to the kitchen and Andres's Dad offered me a fruit salad sort of drink.
How do I explain these things? Maybe i should actually use my camera.
Well it was a drink of all fresh fresh fruit. Papaya, Cantaloupe, watermelon, bananas, pineapple and probably more but I do not remember, and it is all in a delicious sort of juice.
MMMMMMMM

Then Andres's Brother Josue and his wife come over.
We all sit at the table for lunch (except Andres who had been at work all this time.).
A huge plate with rice and beans, plantains, roast beef, and a potato.
I was very happy to finally see Andres walk through the door.
I kind of like this kid and miss him when he is gone.

After lunch Andres's Mom tells me that us 4 girls are going out. I have no idea where.
Turns out we are going to the mall.
As we were in the car pulling away from the house, Andres is standing there looking at me with the saddest face ever. :[
It made me blush a little because of his Mom's reaction.

We went to the mall and bought Carla (Andres's sister) and new hair straightener.
Once we got back I was selected to be the hair model.
As we watched the DVD (in English) that explains how to use this special straightener, Carla curled my hair.
AS soon as my hair was curled, ANdres was called into the room where he was supposed to admire my beauty.
He tried to play it all cool like "oh girl you look nice" but then he asked me to come into the other room with him for a minute, and once I walked out of his parents room he was all "YOU LOOK SO WONDERFUL!".

He then asked if I wanted to go to the movies.
WE invited his sister too.
We went to see Happy Feet 2 and get some coffee for me.
The baristas there looked at Andres like he was crazy as he tried to order my coffee.
All I wanted was an iced mocha, but for some reason the thought of making that in any other form than a frappe is just nonsense to them.
Finally they figured out something and it was just what I wanted.

Since I am in Ecuador and all, Happy Feet was in Spanish.
The good thing is that I understood most of it and left the theater thinking in Spanish.

We took a taxi home and stopped at the park in the neighborhood.
Andres saw a boy there that he knows well and is like a mentor to.
THey decided to have an important "man talk" that Carla and I could not listen in on because apparently I know too much Spanish.
I don't think it reassured the boy when I walked up and said "No entiendo Nada!".
Then Andres went on to tell the boy (in spanish) that if he talks really fast then I cannot understand, but guess who totally understood and responded?
Yeah, ME!
Then Carla and I were sent away to play on the playground equipment and ultimately return home without Andres.

It was really a good day.
I had some really good bonding times with my family here.










Now here I am at mid-night and I cannot seem to get my brain to think in just one language. Maybe it is bed time. Andres has the next two days off from work.



Btw I will probably be posting a lot of music over the next few weeks.

No comments: