Sunday, April 8, 2012

Ethiopia

3-9-12

I think when I arrive home I will write "oh the Places you will go" on my backpack.
Hagan had no idea how much life was left in his back pack when he gave it up. 
I sat next to a super cute lady on the plane.
She was working in Dubai as a house keeper for two years and was finally going back home to Ethiopia.
She was so excited that as we were landing she was squirming around and would grab my arm and squeeze it with excitement.
She was so sweet!
When she asked me what I was going to Ethiopia for I told her I was going to visit friends.
She then said "Wow, you must really love your friends".
I didn't mention that I had yet to meet these friends, but yeah I do love them a lot.

I made it through customs with no problems.
Even got a phone number from a guy in the baggage claim area. 
Bahaha!

Jerry Shannon met us at the airport.
We went straight to the Shannon's house and met Christy.
They are a very warm and welcoming family.
We were so blessed.
We had warm beds and a toilet with a seat instead of a squaty potty.

It was late by the time we arrived at the Shannon's so we went to bed almost immediately.


3-10-12


Today was spent resting and planning. 
At lunch I got so nauseous that I could not eat.
After maybe 3 attempts at eating I just went straight to bed.
I blame my anti-malaria medication for this. 
The same thing happened to me in Ecuador.
Once I woke up we went for a walk around the community.
The Shannons live in a slums community within Addis called Kore.
AS we walked around the community countless children came out to talk with us.
Many grabbed our hands and walked on with us even thought they had no idea where we were going.

One held onto my hand until we were almost back to the Shannon's house. Jerry had to tell the child to go home.
We ate dinner at an Ethiopian restaurant that night.  We met up with the administrative staff of the daycare for dinner.
I ate Tibs with injera.
It was so delicious, but spicy. 
Almost too spicy.... just almost.



1 comment:

beka said...

can't wait to read more of your story, hanna :) :)