Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Ethiopia

3-12-12


I was terribly homesick this day.

For years I had all these grandiose plans.
I would go through medic training; somehow develop a significantly braver personality, and use this new knowledge teamed with new personality to save the world.
It never dawned on me that there were practice laws, stigmas, language and cultural barriers, stomach bugs and personal short comings.
Here I am in Ethiopia and I find myself less brave now than when I was 6.
Maybe these grandiose illusions are  what leads truly un-important and insignificant people like me to try huge things.

Today we played with the babies in the Day Care all morning. 
I watched the oldest group of babies go over their Amharic and English alphabet.
Then I spend a good amount of time in the baby room holding baby after baby.

We then ate a lunch of lentil soup before going over physical exams with the Shannons and Ruth (the Day Cares nurse who is the sweetest woman.).


It is simple stuff, but I sure do love it. 





I love hands on medical stuff.





3-13-12

Today had a much better feel to it. 
We headed to the Day Care right after breakfast.
I spent my morning in a different room of the Day Care.
 I bonded with the children in this room so quickly.
I brought my stethoscope into the room and the children got so excited when I listened to their heart.

A number of them gathered around me where i sat and watched me listen to their friends hearts.
They got very excited when I let them listen to my heart.
I spent hours in this room just playing with these babies.
One of the little girls was feeling extra brave with me and decided to show me her ear.
The back part of her earring had become terribly infected.
Just touching near the spot made her scream.
Right away I stopped being playful Hanna and went into medic mode.
I felt so bad having to pull the earring out of her ear and clean it all the while she cried and screamed for her Mom.
Poor thing!
All the bonding I had done with this girl now meant nothing.
I could not get her to come near me no matter how I tried.
This strange talking white girl plays with her for a few hours then attacks her ear.

We then ate lunch (something with lentils) and headed to the Shannon's house to go over IMCI.
I got so tired while going over IMCI.
After we went though following the protocols we did some case studies.

Much of the team went on a walk after and I stayed behind to pack for Soddo.
I got to do some bonding with the 3 younger Shannon children during this time.
It was funny how quickly they went from kind of quiet and reserved to 110MPH. 
Dinner was full of laughs and stories. 
I was also very blessed with being able to take a hot shower before bed. 
It's the little things.
 

1 comment:

beka said...

"Maybe these grandiose illusions are what leads truly un-important and insignificant people like me to try huge things."
...um, wow.
that's a pretty profound statement.
true, i'm sure, of nearly every little [and BIG] thing in life.