Tuesday, December 14, 2010

I guess I spoke too soon. Listen to all the hope in the last sentences of this post  from the other day. hahaha


I finally had a chance to fly home today. I think that the only thing worse than traveling while you are sick, is traveling while you are sick and knowing that you won't see your family again for months. Yesterday, as I posted before, my dad drove me to the airport then went back to Hinckley. I ended up canceling my flight and changing it to today instead. My dad then drove all the way back to the city to pick me up. He is the best!
 Today we once again got up around 4 am and headed into the city. It is so frustrating being sick with something that is hindering my ability to talk. I wanted so badly to be able to talk with my parents one on one and that option was not there. :/

 When I got my flight changed at the gate yesterday the lady just gave me a receipt that said my flight had been canceled, but no confirmation number or anything.
  I was a bit nervous about having problems, but I felt more at peace about things. When my dad dropped me off he said he would drive around the airport once and then come back in case I ran into problems. I fought vapors as I walked into the airport.   It all went even smoother than the day before, I got two boarding passes, unlike the flight to the mid west and my first attempt home.  AS I walked to security I fought temptations to run out the doors to my dad's rental car and make up some story as to why I couldn't go. Being sick makes a person forget that they have to be a big girl.   The people in front of me in the security line must not fly often. I started stripping down early and  only had to grab bins and throw the stuff in fast as I waited for the lady in front of me to organize all her bins. The lady behind me in line commented that I must have flown before. If I had better use of my vocal chords I would have thought of some witty response along with a flattering comment aimed back at her and her ability to also go through security in a smooth manner. Instead all I could offer was a "once or twice" in my creepy half frog half girl voice.  I stopped at the same Hudson Newstand to buy the same over priced water that I had done the day before and popped another cough drops into my mouth.     I got to the exact same gate as the day before but luckily with no delays. I was in zone 1 so I was one of the first to board the plane. The lady scanning our boarding passes was the one that helped me change my flight. She remembered me from the day before and got very excited that she had. Still I had no voice, no witty retort, and thus no story. Just a smile!

  My seat was right behind first class so I got a bit more leg room and a front row view of a carpeted wall. I sat next to this elderly couple. They were both super cute. They started asking me questions, like if I was going home for the Holidays... "Nope", then some other random stuff. Somehow like all conversations now days it turned into me telling them that my parents live in Dubai, followed by a "Where is that" from the wife (the husbands always know) and when I tell the wife that it boarders Saudi Arabia they get that look on their face that says "I bet your mom isn't allowed to talk and has to wear a burka". Then I tell them that it is more western there and that my mom can drive and do alot of things.
   Then the subject of why I am in Boise always comes up, followed by the question of what I am doing after the program, which I wish I knew the answer to. All this is going on while my throat feels like someone is holding one of those firework sparklers in it.   THe husband (who was in the seat next to me) went on to tell me all about how he was a commander in the navy and went to all those places around Dubai and then something about his daughter working in a hospital which I didn't catch all of. Finally I fell asleep for a while. I kept falling into a super deep sleep and then jolting myself awake. It reminded me of trying to wake my mom up from a nap. The husband kept talking to me though, and if he wasn't talking to me he was falling asleep. His wife started to get frustrated with him for sleeping instead of talking with her. Then as we were getting ready to land he started talking to me again, then she was like "why don't you talk to me at all?" OH SNAP! He was like "I talk to you all the time," then she replied with "you haven't talked to me at all during this flight."
    All I wanted was to sleep. I would have preferred he talk to her too. They really were sweet people though. I just hope I don't get them sick.
We pulled up to the gate in Phoenix and I had 45 minutes to get to my gate. Luckily it wasn't too far. My suit case felt like I was pulling an entire collection of encyclopedias  behind me though.I don't think I have ever been more grateful for moving walkways.
I then got to my gate, went to the nearest little shop and found myself a giant thing of water for less than 2 dollars. It was amazing. I got on my flight in the same row as my last flight, right behind first class. This time I didn't make any small talk with the people near me, I just slept.

 A young girl and a new mother with her baby sat right behind me. The mother was probably in her mid- twenties and the other girl was probably 16 or 17. The young one starts off talking on the phone as soon as she sits down, then when the mom and baby sit down next to her she tells the mom all about how she is 9 weeks pregnant and so excited.  I am so sick of hearing about all these teen moms. I appreciate babies being born (not the placenta mind you) and all but really?!
  That is one more baby and mom  that I will most likely be supporting though welfare and such, when I am choosing not to go get married and have babies and instead get an education.  I digress, sorry.

 Elen was fantastic and picked me up at the airport and brought me home. She is so good to me. I don't know why. I feel so blessed by the people I have met here.
 I got home and put on PJ pants and crawled into my inviting and made bed. (be proud that I made it before I left, mom)
Had to skip school tonight, if I had known I would be missing this week I would have just planned on a longer trip. I've spent my night trying to find someone to work for me tomorrow.
And as usual I am feeling better now that it is late and I want to be sleeping.
My throat is feeling much better, now I am just having trouble pulling enough air into my lungs. I have been taking little sips of rum throughout the night and it has been cleaning everything out so I can breath.




I also talked to Billy. He is sick now. Poor kid. I told him that rum helps..haha

 

1 comment:

beka said...

Hope you feel better soon!
That flight sounds just *wonderful* --sarcasm-- ...gosh...more teen moms, huh?