Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Ecuador- Frozen yogurt, sunburns, and long talks on the beach *sorry I have no photos of these days*

6-8

WE had this morning off. We slept in and then did some needed things. We walked off in search of a lavanderia to have our clothes cleaned. We had to do some exploring to find it, and somehow we managed to communicate  with the owners to have our clothes cleaned. We walked to the mercado and did a shopping. We hauled our bags of groceries back to the church then walked off again in search of something frozen.
We had to spot at one point and, in our very broken Spanish, ask for directions. Our search was a success in the end. I got a fruitilla frozen yogurt and 2 pan de yuka. Best treat ever.
On the way home, we stopped for empanadas and bought some chocolate ice-cream for the church security guard.


Our evening in Nigeria went so fast. I worked with Sheri and Andres. It was a really wonderful evening in Nigeria. (I'm not sure why I didn't journal more today. I must have been tired.)



6-9

Today was our free day. We headed out nice and early for the beach.
We left the church at quarter to 8. We got a ride to the central bus station where we met up with Eric. (Andres met us at the church)
The bus ride to the beach was about two hours long. The beach was beautiful!!
We rented a little cabana and sat about enjoying ourselves.
I have never before been to a beach like this where vendors come right up to you and try to sell you things.
We were served a lunch on the beach and even had a man with a guitar play and sing for us.
There were pelicans flying around and swooping to catch fish.
Every now and again the fishermen would pull in the HUGE fishing net and bring back hundreds of perfect fish with it.

I also got to spend some time really talking to Andres and getting to know his story. We sat on the sand looking out over the waves. He is a pretty quiet and mysterious guy, so to have him open up to me so easily about things that were tough in his past was really a cool thing. It was great to see how much Jesus has really changed his life too. SO great!

I wish I could have stayed at the beach forever. It is a good thing we didn't. I got so burnt!
My face turned all pink, and my back and shoulders were so red.
This happens everytime I go to the beach no matter how hard I tryto keep up with the sunblock.
The bus ride home was difficult. It was so long and myhead was spinning with so many thoughts.
I was so happy to  to be back to the church and about to go to bed.

No comments: