Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Ecuador- New places, more food, and google translate

6-10
(I am so sorry about the lack of photos. Manaal was our photographer at this point)







Can I love my life more?? This morning we headed out to a new area, Ceraceta. This place was such a huge contrast from Nigeria and ever Guayaquil. This was more rain forest like rather than the slums or the city. we arrived to find a huge group of children assembled and waiting for us. We did not expect to find this. We brainstormed and quickly came up with some skit ideas. We did a skit about  how  germs are spread. Then Jen narrated a skit while she had kids volunteer to act out the different parts.
We had only a small amount of time with the children so we did the two skits and before the children left and we set up a small clinic.
Manaal and I saw patients at one station (with Andres translating), Sheri had a station (with Eric translating) and Jen ran pharmacy and anything else that needed doing. Manaal and I made a great team. I took the lead with some of the patients and was very relieved to find that I really did know what I was talking about. We saw many patients of many different ages. Again, most people had a simple flu or needed to drink more water but meeting with them was so special, if for no other reason than to simply meet and connect with them.


We were served a huge meal in the middle of our clinic time. A huge plate of rice, potatoes and tuna. I ate everything on my plate
but regretted my overfull tummy right after. We took a short walk to see the area right after lunch. I really loved this area.
The houses were built on stilts and I wanted to move into one right away.



After our walk, it was back to the clinic.
We met  a man from the area who was 105 years old.  He laughed and joked with us and told us some of the history of the plantation.
We were welcomed so warmly into this community.



*This story is about to become more interesting*

On the drive back to the church I was able to talk with Andres again.
I really like talking to him. He has such a good heart (and a nice face).
He told me I should move to Ecuador, but I just couldn't see how that would work.
He then told me that he would come to Ethiopia with me and be my bodyguard. He then offered to help me pay to go there. I just told him to save his money  and move to the states. We talked more about our families and just different ideas on things until we got back to the church.

Once we get back to the church Manaal starts making some pasta.We gave two HUGE helpings to the guards downstairs. Then we ate a huge amount of of the pasta ourselves. We were so stuffed and ready to clean up the kitchen when in walks Christian and Victor with a whole rotisserie chicken, plantain chips, a salad, and a doughnut. We told them to call the other two boys up and we would eat then. We all sat around the table eating our second dinner of the night. Us girls were trying to force enough chicken into our bodies to not appear rude. (the chicken tasted wonderful though).
We started feeling the language barrier so Jen and Manaal pull out their laptops and pull up Google translator. With the help of google translate we were able to communicate with each other. We laughed so hard. The translations are obviously not perfect which just added to the humor of it all. It was beautiful.

(I wrote this right before bed so the tenses are going to change)

My tummy is beyond full now. We are winding down now and I am looking forward to tomorrow. I never want to leave this place.
Thank you Jesus for how much you bless me.

No comments: