Sunday, December 18, 2011

This morning as I rushed to get out the door I debated over whether or not I should bring my purse and camera with me. 
We were in a huge hurry because the bus for Nigeria leaves at 9am and it was now 8:35.
I decided against the purse and it turned out to be the best choice.
We rushed off to the church taking city buses and hoping we would beat the clock.
We made it with time.
I got in the van and two little girls started asking me all sorts of questions in Spanish.
Most of them were "how do you say *blah* in English.".
I did my best to help with that but I had a little trouble with their little voices.
We got to Nigeria and it was great to go back.
I talked with Pastor Caluca a bit and felt bad telling him that I am leaving 2 days.
After church we went back to the main church andtalked with people there. Andres had to meet with people about some worship thing and I talked with Chicho and his girlfriend.


Turned out that Andres had to play tonight and he had to practice in 2 hours.
We caught a bus real fast so he could take me home.
On the ride home I leaned over to ask Andres a question and the next thing I know two men are standing right there in the isle and they start telling us to give them our cell phones.
They then start feeling my front pockets for my cell phone. 
I started telling them in Spanish that I didn't have one.
I bet they felt a bit let down when the white girl didn't have a nice cellphone and really didn't have one at all.
They also took Andres's wallet but decided they didn't want it and just gave it back.
Then one of the men didn't want to leave empty handed so he took my watch off my wrist. 
The funny thing is that my watch was worth less than the money I had yet in my pocket when they left.
That poor watch was on sale for $7 when I bought it 2 years ago, it also had chalk in the face from wearing it coaching, the band was falling apart and smelt like it had come off of a corpse. 
  
As soon as they left Andres asked me if I was ok, which I was. 
I told him that they just took my watch.
Then some women around me, not understanding got all worried and thought they had taken my phone. They were so worried until Andres explained that it was just my watch.
I am just so happy that I left my purse at home or they may have gotten themselves my new camera and my Debit card which I had just put in my purse a few days before.


This is the reason that I do not have photos of really anything that I have done here. 
It is too risky to take my camera or a purse with me.



Well that is my adventure of a day.
Now I am going to go hang my laundry and probably read until Andres gets home.
It is our 6 month today.
I think we will celebrate with our last $1.50 hamburger for a while.

1 comment:

Jessica Erhart said...

so glad to know that you're okay!! That's pretty scary:(