Friday, May 15, 2009

Those were the days

Wow, the realization has been hitting me alot lately about how important family is. They know you better than anyone cause they have been with you through your whole life journey.
I just think of all the inside jokes I have with my family. How a simple line can bring my dad and I to laughing so hard that we just about fall out of our chairs. I love that we know all of each others little quirks and actually have the nerve to point it out to each other. My poor mom will never put the remainder of both pizza's onto one plate again.

It is so great. Sometimes I think that trying find a guy to date or marry will be impossible because he will never get me the way a person truly should, No one has been with me through it all except my family. None of my friends have been there to see me as a weird little girl who would climb trees in dresses and sit in her room for hours by herself writing and drawing.

or the girl who was always doing gymnastics. If I wasn't at the gym practicing I was in my room conditioning , or at the gym for open gym, or I was working at some pre-school open gym where I got called coach Hanna for the first time and about died with delight, or I was working at a meet.
Few people saw me compete, and dance around in front of hundreds of people all the while having a wedgie that I couldn't pick unless I wanted to deal with the deductions that come with that (or worse than that the scolding I would get from Kelly after I pulled something like that).


Then there were the long, hot summer days spent at Bev's farm riding and driving the ponies, or getting bit by Pony Boy.
It never felt like I spent that much time there but I really did.

Then there were the late night walks with Kim, the ones that were meant to last 20 minutes but ended up being hours on end. Or the sleepovers with Kim where we would sneak out her window and go down into her play house and then back up through her window just for the fun of it. I practically lived there part time. It is probably the only place I have ever been where I decided to stop by and talk to Kim's mom (A.K.A my second mom) while on a walk and while I was there the phone rang and it was Kim (calling from work) and she called to talk to me not her own family. Haha


Then there was camping out or spending all day at the lake. The best times were the late night bon-fires with Polly that would go until way too late, and I can never forget Dad and Polly singing that song over and over again while doing the dishes. I will never forget how whiny Polly's voice got while singing that song. " THOSE WERE THE DAYS!"

Then there was New Years with the Kruegers. I will not embarrass myself by saying anything more about that.

It saddens me that only a few people have been there through all of those defining times that have made me who I am now. No one can truly get me unless they have been there with me through it.
It makes me realize how incredibly important my family is to me. And also how peculiar my family is.

No comments: