Sunday, April 11, 2010

I hate when people justify inhumanity with "knowledge"

SO I just finished my human bio project. It is due on tues so I am now done worrying about it forever. I'm not going to lie , I am a little annoyed about it right now. The 10th article I had to find and review was supposed to be about scientific proof supporting human evolution. She made it very clear that she(my teacher) wanted nothing dis proving evolution or mentioning creationism but merely an article with scientific evidence supporting it. I emailed her asking for an alternative for this article but she told me it was required. By some miracle I found an article talking about how viruses have played a role in "evolution". I read it and it makes alot of sense. I totally believe in micro evolution just not macro evolution and this article i took to be about micro evolution. It was about how people getting viruses caused our genes to mutate because these viruses mix with our genes and over time cause changes. That make perfect sense, just like bacteria over time building resistance to antibiotics. The part that made me upset was that as part of the assignment we were supposed to tie every article to something discussed in class or in our book. Well thank God we didn't talk about evolution in the class yet(and hopefully we wont), but I still had to look for something in the book. So I went to the chapter and the whole thing is talking about macro evolution and how we all came from the same whatever..and then they explain how they justify the theory, but never once do they mention that it is just a theory. Man! So I couldn't find anyway to relate the book with the article. So I had to write about how I couldn't relate it.
I am just so mad about it because it goes against my rights to have to do something on evolution esp. since I asked my teacher for an alternate assignment. Then to read this sad excuse for the chapter on evolution. It is so sick. This book make me so mad sometimes. I can't even convey what I am thinking because of how annoyed I am. The most upsetting thing about this, is that those people who force this agenda on people are going to have to answer to God for the lies they are spreading. Evolution should be an optional field of study. Just like seminar and such requires going to a different school for.
Then to top it off I had an article about a home sperm count test for men, that I had to link to the book, and the entire chapter on reproduction barely mentioned anything on fertility or infertility at all, The only mention they made was like 2 sentences that stated if a man had a spinal cord injury it could result in infertility. Almost the entirety of the rest of the chapter was about birth control and prevention and such. Nothing about fertility and the problems there. Like having children is not even worth talking about anymore. I almost threw up when I read about how they described abortion and talked lightly about it. I think the wording is so ridiculous. They never mention baby, it is always a fetus. Even when they talked about partial birth abortion, they birth the fetus most of the way then crush the head of the fetus with surgical scissors to allow it to come the rest of the way out. How can anyone read that and not want to throw up the contents of their stomach. How selfish does a person have to be to justify something like that! GRRRRR!

3 comments:

Joshua Boyd said...

I feel your pain. I was a bio major my first two years. It's my favorite subject actually. Honestly, lower level bio books are pretty pathetic (as you said). The biology class I took was specifically for biology majors. I knew someone in normal biology and I was shocked at how little they were being taught. It seems like everything was over simplified and dumbed down. Most of kids want to know what they have to know and forget it forever so they don't bother going into details about everything as they do in the bio major classes. So just bare through it and know that not every biology class is like that one! My teacher (who is the head of the science department at WCC) said from the get go that evolution is a theory, and creation is a theory. He said he realizes that not everyone agrees with everything in the class, but to please respect it as he will respect our beliefs. I was extremely glad he said that because it made everyone more comfortable. Creation won't be taught in his class because it's a science class. Creation isn't science, evolution is. He did however encourage everyone to take a religion, bible, and/or theology class to learn both sides of the argument. Another cool thing was that for one of our papers I was allowed to talk about how micro evolution and creation can fit together. While I do agree that evolution shouldn't be forced on anyone, it is necessary for understanding biology. At least at the micro level like you said. And then there is always the argument that if you don't want to hear about evolution, don't take a bio class.

But yeah, some of that stuff is very inhumane and insensitive. I could tell that as we talked about abortion and stuff my teacher was in robot mode. He got through it as fast as possible. Which is good and bad. It's not fun to think about, but at the same time it is an issue that is looked at too casually. There were definitely some lectures I didn't agree with and hated. But hey, you can't argue against evolution and other things effectively unless you learn the ins and outs of it right?

AAron said...

Evolution is a fact so get used to it

Hanna said...

Evolution is theory, I acknowledge that fact.