Friday, May 11, 2012

Once again photos will not load. Sorry. 
(I don't really have photos from this day anyway.)

3-20-2012
Today we headed to the Day Care later than usual.
It was around 10 when we arrived.
Jen started off the day with a leprosy teaching for The Shannons and some of the staff at the day care.
Audra then taught about wound care and burns.
It is very interesting to see the way people in Ethiopia view leprosy.
You see lepers in Ethiopia often, yet people there really do not know much about it.
They believe that you can get it almost as easily as a cold and many of them believe that you cannot be fully treated for it.
It was  a really good thing for these staff to really learn the truth about it.

We were then served lunch.
Rice with veggies and lentils.

After lunch I went back to the house and rested while the rest of the team went to check on their airline tickets.
Jen had received an email a few days before telling her that the team's first flight out of Ethiopia had been cancelled.
The team then had to find some free time and the airline office to clear things up.
They arrived at the office and the person they spoke to told them everything was still fine, and showed them their names on the flight list.

We screened Moms and siblings  in the evening.
I worked with the same translator as before and once again had my own room.
I saw about 9 people in the 3 hours.
It can be so exhausting but I sure do love it!

The interesting thing about women in Ethiopia is how they age.
Ethiopian women look very very young into their 20s.
I would talk to Moms that looked to be 15 or 16 yet they said they were in the early 20s.
Then at about 25 or 26 it all catches up with them, all of the sudden they look 10-20 years older.
You talk to moms that you think are in their 30s or 40s yet they tell you they are 28.
I met one mom in particular this night how just melted my heart.
I looked at this young face and asked how old she was, the translator then told me that she was in her 30s.
I was so shocked!
I asked my translator to repeat her age to me.
I then told the women "really? 30?? YOU LOOK SO YOUNG!".
She laughed and then told me "you can't hide age.".
"Well, you are doing a really good job at hiding it.", was my response.

I loved the connecting I got to do with some of the people I met that night.
We laughed and joked and I liked seeing them get comfortable around me and really feel they could trust me.


I was so hungry and excited for dinner by the time we returned to the Shannon's home.
Then the night got even better. I got to take my first shower in days and with warm water even.
It's all about those little blessings.
I was undoubtedly so ready for bed.

No comments: